Ordinary Teacher

To Update or Not To Update? : That Is The Question

| Thursday, September 11, 2008

Assalamualaikum,

New Firmware Update Dilemma

It has been bugging me for the past few days that Nokia have come up with the latest firmware update for my beloved phone N95. Some changes and additions to the new firmware excites me and some made me think twice before I carry on with the update. Let see which one I like and which one I don't...

New Features:

  • Maps 2.0(OK) (Installed)
  • Full N-Gage (much improved over v20.x)(OK) (Installed with games inside)
  • Nokia Search 4.0 with Google plug-in(OK)
  • Enablers for “Comes With Music” (OK)
  • Share Online 3.0 (includes Ovi, Flickr, Vox)(OK)
  • Mosh & Ovi bookmarks added to browser(OK)
  • Automatic screen rotation:
    (Enable via Settings > General > Personalization > Display > Rotate Screen)(OK)but some say Samir's RotateMe response is better and I seldom use screen rotation.
  • New dark theme from N82/N96 (Nokia Nseries 4)(OK)

Changes:

  • Increased startup speed (15-16 seconds)(OK) but some site said not that fast
  • Download! application updated to v 3.1.50(OK)
  • Update for Flash Lite 3, YouTube video works!(OK)
  • Menu screen changed (no longer has the reduced-size header.) (TOTALLY NOT OK)
  • Current consumption improvements (for e.g. WLAN scanning)(OK)
  • New baseline for VoIP (with significant error corrections)(OK)
Some other setbacks:
  • I've already installed a lot of stuff in my phone. (N-gage games, Themes etc.) and I hate doing it all over again.
  • Still getting bad reviews of the update over the related webs.
  • Still happy with my current firmware version.
So how, should I or should I not?? That is the question

0 comment(s):