Ordinary Teacher

Puzzling Microsoft Excel...??

| Thursday, March 5, 2009

Assalamualaikum,

Next week is the due date of computing the data of Continuous Evaluation of the students here in the college for this semester. I took the liberty to do it early to avoid the traffic in the system. Most lecturers like to do it last minute and it will take us like more than a minute to load a page during that period. Since I have 6 classes, 3 quizzes and 3 assignments marks for each class to upload; that will force me to load as many as 36 times. It will take me ages to finish keying in. So why not I do it early and maybe spend my precious time next week planning for the activity that I have to conduct next Saturday.


So before uploading the marks into the system, I had to make some preparation calculating them in the MS Excel. However, the program seems to have some kind of a glitch, especially in the calculation. I wanted to calculate an average of marks between three quizzes, however the number needed to be rounded up to one decimal place. But it seems that the calculation was totally wrong...

What is wrong with this thing??

For example, I wanted to calculate an average between three data, 4.8, 4.3 and 4.0, supposedly calculating with my scientific calculator will give me 4.36 in two decimal places, which should be rounded up to 4.4 in one decimal place. On the contrary, inputting formula into MS Excel would only give me 4.33 and was rounded up to 4.3 in one decimal place. Students are loosing valuable marks over this error. Such a troublesome process to recheck and recalculate those quizzes marks for any error. I wonder why such miscalculation occur in this Microsoft famous software? Can anybody help explain to me?

0 comment(s):