Ordinary Teacher

N95 Firmware Upgrade

| Sunday, September 14, 2008

Assalamualaikum,

Few days ago, I was in dilemma of whether I should upgrade my N95's firmware or not. Being unoccupied during the weekend finally persuaded me to upgrade after readinga forums that I should gain more advantages after upgrading.

One thing that worries me was the ability to install third party software like RotateMe and Panoman with the new firmware. They said that the new firmware security has been upgraded and unsigned software cannot be installed. However in the world of S60, where there is a will there's a way. As soon as Nokia came up with the new firmware, hackers already plot their way to make them hackable thus allowing unsigned software to be installed normally like before.

I started Saturday morning, soon after my inability to return to sleep after sahur. Prepared the backup for my phone and began to use Nokia Software Updater. Detected my phone and downloading the latest firmware. But to my suprise, soon after the download was complete the firmware was unable to be installed due to some error message that requires my phone to be reset. However, the suggested procedure was a failure and I was left wondering what went wrong. I composed myself quickly and consulted my friends over the Symbian Forum to get some answers. But still no solution the problem I am having.

Then when all hope was lost finally I decided, hey...since I am installing new firmware and all the data was previously backed up, why don't I perform hard reset which will return my phone to it's original state adn it worked. Alhamdulillah. After that, I continued where I left of and to my relief, I was able to proceed with the upgrade.

After that, I reloaded all my contacts and important notes and data back into my phone and began installing some of the necessary software. Only this time I was adviced to install Drakkarious to allow some of my software to be installed in the new firmware.

Noticable Changes after Upgrade:

  • Faster booting process
  • Crowded Standby mode (Share online option added)
  • Better picture quality
  • Better battery consumption (this one I like)
  • No longer need TRK and SecMan to install N-gage game due to the usage of Drakkarious.
  • New upgrade for the Music Player
  • New Cool Dark Nokia Theme
All and all, I love the new upgrade. I'm glad I decided to upgrade because it made me want to test out new stuff which makes my phone better than before. Until then take care now bye-bye then.

p.s: The reason I decided to take the leap is because I am confident that I will soon acquire the problem solution (the menu and crowded active standby) in no time...

0 comment(s):